Rolled sugar cookies ready for decorating. With a new method for mixing there’s no need to soften the butter or chill the dough before cutting out cookies!
This great recipe was provided by Land O’Lakes. Go to http://www.Landolakes.com for more holiday recipes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
How to make
- STEP 1Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- STEP 2Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- STEP 3Place sugar and cold butter into bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat at medium speed until well combined. Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract; beat until well mixed. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until just combined.
- STEP 4While removing dough from bowl, knead to incorporate crumbs and form a smooth dough. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- STEP 5Cut into shapes with 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Place onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until just beginning to brown around edges. Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
If planning to cut with intricate cutters, chill dough 30 minutes before rolling and cutting. This ensures your cookies will hold their detailed shape.