The Annual Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS) Day, “Dining In” for Healthy Families campaign is just around the corner–Monday, Dec. 3rd! As a member of an organization in the Family & Consumer Science profession, which leads advocacy efforts for the field, your involvement is needed!
FCS Day is an opportunity to promote family and consumer sciences programs, and resources that support family mealtime. Families are asked to commit to making and eating a healthy meal together on December 3rd – the birthday of AAFCS founder, Ellen Swallow Richards, first woman graduate of MIT. For purposes of the campaign, AAFCS is defining family very loosely–relatives, neighbors, co-workers, community members, or fellow members of an organization!
Since 2014, more than 400,000 commitments have been made to “dining in” on Family & Consumer Sciences Day. In 2018, the goal is to add 200,000 “Dining In” commitments. To reach the goal of 200,000 commitments to “Dining In,” your outreach efforts are critical.
Here are simple actions you can take now:
- Commit to “Dining In” on Dec. 3!
- Change your Facebook profile photo to the I‘m “Dining In” logo.
- Check out the Home Baking Association resources available here!
- Ask the people you serve, as well as your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and professional networks to “Dine In” on Dec. 3.
- Add the Family & Consumer Sciences Day logo to your email signature.
- Approach your local and state government officials to declare December 3rd as Family and Consumer Sciences Day using this Proclamation template.
Please keep in mind that if you can’t celebrate FCS Day on December 3rd, it’s okay. The date is flexible – “dining in” most anytime between now and December 15th counts! In fact, if you initiated family mealtime programs any time in the 2018 calendar year, you can retroactively make that commitment using the same form.
Thank you for supporting this important initiative! TOGETHER, we are stronger … as the “go to” professionals for education related to essential life skills.